This page outlines the expectations I have of folks that leave comments on this blog, and what those people can expect of me as a comment moderator. Much of this page will be derived/completely stolen from:
These are some general operating principals to which I will strive to adhere.
- Be inclusive
Everyone should feel comfortable participating in the discussion.
- Be respectful
We're not going to agree all the time, and that's fine.
- No anonymous comments
You must login with OpenID to comment.
- Benevolent Dictator For Life (BDFL)
My judgements about comments are final.
I will delete comments that I find disrupt discussion or are harassing. I am mostly adopting the TODO Group's Open Code of Conduct's definition of harassment as defined below.
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, race, age, regional discrimination, political or religious affiliation
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment
- Deliberate misgendering. This includes deadnaming or persistently using a pronoun that does not correctly reflect a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment
- Simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like “hug” or “backrub”) after a request to stop
- Threats of violence, both physical and psychological
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm
- Deliberate intimidation
- Sustained disruption of discussion
- Unwelcome sexual attention, including gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect others from intentional abuse
- Publication of non-harassing private communication
This blog prioritizes marginalized people’s safety over privileged people’s comfort. I will likely not act on complaints regarding:
- ‘Reverse’ -isms, including ‘reverse racism,’ ‘reverse sexism,’ and ‘cisphobia’
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you”
- Refusal to explain or debate social justice concepts
- Communicating in a ‘tone’ you don’t find congenial
- Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions
How I handle comments is entirely up to me. I will do what I need to to keep the discussions reasonable and on-topic, at my sole judgement and discretion.
I will delete comments that contain content that is derogatory towards an entire class of people based on their race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, class, religion, age, or other self-identified or imputed identity.
Your comments on this blog are your own. You are the copyright holder of your comments. By commenting on this blog, you are agreeing to release your comment under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.
Comments and comment feeds are available on the comments page.